Tuesday, July 2, 2013

C'est Une Parfait Parisian Jour!

The past 24 hours has been perfect :)
Last night my friends and I grabbed a few bottles of wine and met up at my homestay. We then walked through Montmartre to the top of the city and drank them on the steps of the Sacre Coeur, which has the most amazing view of Paris! And yes, drinking in public is basically legal here.
We spent the time getting to know each other better, and also chatting/mingling with some of the other people visiting Paris. We talked to one group all the way from Australia! Which reminds me that I saw a man wearing a Michigan hat on the metro today! It is a small world.
 
Then today we explored Montmartre a little bit.  We got drinks at this little café where the waiter said if we gave him our number he would give us free drinks... only in Paris! Then we got baguettes and I finally got to see the number one destination that I wanted to visit while in Paris (yes more than the Eiffel Tower)... The Moulin Rouge! We didn't get to go inside because it is 240 euros per ticket but just seeing made me so happy! It is my absolute favorite movie, and I can pretty much recite every word.  And then I of course visited the gift shop where I bought a set of "Moulin Rouge Paris" engraved shot glasses, a little Moulin Rouge box and also some red lipstick that says Moulin Rouge on it!  It says it is the same one used by the dancers, so I guess this is as close as I will get to being one of them haha
Today was also day one of my History of Art class site visits.  Today we learned about Notre Dame and we also got to visit the Saint Chapelle and learn about it at the same time.  The program I am in is so cool, each week we meet in the classroom Mondays, then the rest of the week we actually meet at the places that we are reading about! My professor is amazing as well.  He told us we can call him Howard, and since the French do not pronounce H's, it sounds like "Oward" haha so I spent the day practicing saying it in my French accent (which is getting pretty good).  But Howard is just so passionate, knowledgeable, and engaging with everything he is talking about that it makes the "studying" part while being abroad a bit easier.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment